After months of dry, coarse, frizzy, dirty, greasy, dull, listless hair, my four days of soft, shiny hair have been like a vacation. But MNM is committed to natural remedies, and this week, I’ve cooked up a new recipe to cure all my No ‘Poo problems!
Psych! That was a good one. Actually, I’m just going to share a few tips that I got from the hairdresser about going back to chemicals. Yay!
- Baking soda is not a good thing to put on your hair. It is incredibly drying. Instead of BS as dry shampoo, try baby powder.
- Tea tree oil is drying and not the best natural oil for your hair.
- Coconut oil is particularly beneficial for hair. Ugh – here we go again. But, wait! My hairdresser tipped me off about Babassu oil – an alternative to coconut oil that has the same benefits without the grease! My hairdresser recommended Bassu Oil by Surface.
- A once-a-week (but not more!) clarifying treatment can be beneficial, particularly if your water comes from a well (and if you’re trying to undo months of ill-advised hair treatments…). I’m going to start using KMS Daily Fixx Clarifying Treatment each week, which my hairdresser said will help to reconstruct my hair to its normal state.
- A once-a-week moisture treatment is also beneficial. I have on hand SilkSheen Silk Treatment by KMS California, a softening treatment that’s “especially recommended for rough, dull and tangled hair.” (it’s like they’ve been spying on me…) Also this treatment is pink and glittery and smells like candy, which is always a plus.
- “Alcohol” should never be the first ingredient in your shampoo.
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap is a wonderful product for many things, but not for your hair! It tends to dry out your hair and contributes to product build-up.
- No ‘Poo really isn’t suitable for all hair types. Even my hairdresser said she once tried coaxing her hair to “self wash” by shampooing less often but found the results to be disappointing. No ‘Poo tends to work best on thicker, curlier heads.
So I gave up on No ‘Poo/Sham-Wow, but I think this new plan will have a lot fewer kinks in it.